CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, October 4, 2010

His and Hers Table Runners

My husband, Dan's best friend, Mark, is getting married down south this fall, so when he and his fiancée flew home and had an open house I wanted to make them something special. I toyed with lots of different ideas, but after stumbling across this fabric at my local fabric store, I just knew I had to make something for them with it.

You see, Mark works at NASA and lives and breathes all things space. He and Dan are two of the biggest nerds you'll ever meet (Anyone seen "Big Band Theory"? Yep - that was my life while dating Dan, who lived with Mark, through out college!) They love finding things for each other that play on their nerdiness. For example, Dan bought Mark a Darth Vader wearing a Santa hat bobble head for his desk. I could go on and on, but I digress. Suffice it to say that I knew Mark would just love these space fabrics. :)

I had a hard time finding table runner patterns that were playful enough to go with the playful fabric, but still adult enough that it might actually get used. (You know, in case Mark's fiancée was feeling nice on his birthday or something :) ) I finally found one that I loved on my favorite free patterns and ideas website: modabakeshop.com. Click here to go to the tutorial I used.

I love the way it turned out and it went together so fast!


I love this table runner, but thought it probably wouldn't get much use after they were married, so I decided to make a "Hers" version that was more usable in everyday life. I haven't been to their house (yet) but I knew her kitchen was in reds, so I set off to find the right fabrics. I found the Bliss line by Bonnie and Camille and knew it was the one. I ordered a candy bar pack (because I've been looking for a reason to order some Fandango too!) and was able to put this together in just a few short hours. I didn't have enough to make the same pattern as "His", but I essentially made the center part and gave it a bigger border to make it close in size.



Isn't it beautiful?! I love how it reads as red, but isn't too over powering. It's perfect to bring a little life to the kitchen table!

Just because, here are pictures of them together:

I love taking the time to make things for friends. I hope they become worn and loved pieces of their house that bring smiles to those who see them. I wish you a long and happy marriage, Mark and Lacy, and hope God brings you joy at every turn. I'm thankful the distance won't interfere with our friendship. And Lacy: I'm praying for you and all the nerd paraphernalia you're about to acquire. Maybe together we can get them a storage shed to keep it all in! :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment